Arlanza Community Garden
The future garden site is located on the corner of Cypress Ave and Challen Ave in Riverside and is a very short walk away from Norte Vista High School. With the enthusiasm of CLP youth leaders, CLP is in collaboration to create a hub of positivity within the Arlanza community through the presence of the community garden.
During summer 2011, CLP youth attended a week-long series of training sessions held by Growcology focusing on the necessary recruitment and organizing tools for the growth of a healthy and sustainable community garden. CLP has hosted several events in order to involve the community and publicize the garden.
- Dia de los Muertos / Nov 2011: The event included community altars to family members and past Riverside social justice activists, as well as information booths about health, nutrition, and history.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service / Jan 2012: The Grow Arlanza event invited community members to participate in contributing design plans and planting seeds to raise awareness for the garden. With the support of student organizations from UCR, Growcology, and the community, the event was a powerful way to commemorate MLK and bring together excited individuals from all of Riverside.
The Arlanza Garden project is facilitated by young adult mentors and youth that have committed themselves towards creating a space where the entire community can both nourish and flourish.
Community members and supporters can be involved in the following ways:
- Donate Funds
- Donate Tools
- Donate Food for Special Events
- Donate Seeds
- Manage Your Own Garden Plot
- Sponsor Your Neighbors
- Host a Workshop
- Host an Event
- Volunteer to Work on the Garden
- … and more!
For more information on participating, please contact Child Leader Project at email@example.com.